When injectable treatments came along, we completely changed the way that we address the signs of aging. While some people do undergo plastic surgery to correct more severe facial aging, the vast majority of adults who want to restore younger-looking facial contours do so without surgery. They do so with injectables like BOTOX and dermal fillers. While there are many upsides to injectable treatments, there are also a few risks. Bruising is one of them that we get asked about frequently. Here, we discuss why some people develop bruises after getting injectables and what you might do to decrease this risk in yourself.
Why Do Some People Get Bruises from Injectable Treatment?
Bruising is something that just happens to some people. We can boil it down to DNA. However, there are also factors that are in our control. Some of the reasons people may bruise after getting injections include exercise, drinking, and taking certain medications. With the right awareness and preventative measures, the risk of bruising can be significantly reduced.
What You Can Do
If you’re thinking of scheduling injectable treatment, your first responsibility to yourself is to find a reputable, board-certified injector who has a wealth of experience. While injection technique cannot completely eliminate risks, it can go a long way. For additional risk-reduction, try the following:
- Avoid alcohol consumption for 1 to 2 days before and after injections. Alcohol thins the blood and increases risks like bleeding and bruising.
- Do not take blood-thinners if this can be avoided. Prescriptions should continue as normal, but over-the-counter products like ibuprofen, vitamin E, fish oil, flaxseed oil, krill oil, and aspirin should be avoided.
- Take vitamin C. This supplement has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take Arnica Montana. This supplement is known to reduce bruising once it occurs and may also work against bruising when taken for a few days before treatment.
- Do not exercise right before your injectable treatment. The increase in blood flow that may continue for some time after a workout can cause swelling and bruising.
- Avoid strenuous exercise after getting injectables, too!
- If bruising does occur, apply cold compresses. This can be done for 5 to 10 minutes every hour for a few hours as needed to soothe areas of bruising.
- Avoid touching, pressing, and massaging the treatment area for a few days following injections.
Anti-aging has never been easier. To experience the benefits of convenient, safe injectables, contact us at 484-322-5316. Lux Skin & Lasers has offices in Bryn Mawr and King of Prussia.